1. The Prophet frowned and turned away
أَنْ جَاءَهُ الْأَعْمَىٰ
2. Because there came to him the blind man, [interrupting].
وَمَا يُدْرِيكَ لَعَلَّهُ يَزَّكَّىٰ
3. But what would make you perceive, [O Muhammad], that perhaps he might be purified
أَوْ يَذَّكَّرُ فَتَنْفَعَهُ الذِّكْرَىٰ
4. Or be reminded and the remembrance would benefit him?
أَمَّا مَنِ اسْتَغْنَىٰ
5. As for he who thinks himself without need,
فَأَنْتَ لَهُ تَصَدَّىٰ
6. To him you give attention.
وَمَا عَلَيْكَ أَلَّا يَزَّكَّىٰ
7. And not upon you [is any blame] if he will not be purified.
وَأَمَّا مَنْ جَاءَكَ يَسْعَىٰ
8. But as for he who came to you striving [for knowledge]
9. While he fears [Allah],
فَأَنْتَ عَنْهُ تَلَهَّىٰ
10. From him you are distracted.