لَا أُقْسِمُ بِهَٰذَا الْبَلَدِ
1. I swear by this city, Makkah -
وَأَنْتَ حِلٌّ بِهَٰذَا الْبَلَدِ
2. And you, [O Muhammad], are free of restriction in this city -
وَوَالِدٍ وَمَا وَلَدَ
3. And [by] the father and that which was born [of him],
لَقَدْ خَلَقْنَا الْإِنْسَانَ فِي كَبَدٍ
4. We have certainly created man into hardship.
أَيَحْسَبُ أَنْ لَنْ يَقْدِرَ عَلَيْهِ أَحَدٌ
5. Does he think that never will anyone overcome him?
يَقُولُ أَهْلَكْتُ مَالًا لُبَدًا
6. He says, "I have spent wealth in abundance."
أَيَحْسَبُ أَنْ لَمْ يَرَهُ أَحَدٌ
7. Does he think that no one has seen him?
أَلَمْ نَجْعَلْ لَهُ عَيْنَيْنِ
8. Have We not made for him two eyes?
9. And a tongue and two lips?
10. And have shown him the two ways?